Awesome Olsen Parents,
We’ve had an AWESOME start to the 2012-2013 school year. It is difficult to believe that we’re well into 2013 and FCAT is right around the corner. Holding to our motto “Our Mission is Possible,” our incredible teachers and staff strongly believe and strive daily to accomplish our mission:
“Excellence for Every Child, Every Day.”
Further, we cannot make excellence happen in the lives of our children without the phenomenal support of our parents who sacrifice daily to empower their child to be the best he/she can be. Our teachers, staff, students, and parents are the heartbeat of AWESOME Olsen Middle School!
As we approach the final days before FCAT Testing, I encourage you to continue to ensure that your child is taking advantage of every opportunity possible to increase to proficiency because our mission is beyond preparing students for a test. We are committed to prepare our child to meet or exceed the increasing academic requirements to be successful in high school and beyond. Our children have the ability to accomplish any goal they set for themselves; it just takes great focus, determinate, and hard work!
I challenge our children to work harder than they ever have before because they are working to become all they were meant to be: EXCELLENT, AWESOME, GREAT, MAGNIFICIENT!
Additional tips for Success:
• If your child is assigned to tutorial, please ensure that he/she attends. Math Tutoring is Mondays and Wednesday 1:50pm-2:45pm andLiteracy Tutoring is Wednesdays and Thursdays 1:50pm-2:45pm.Please contact Ms Walls, Reading Coach, for additional inquiries at 754-323-3800.
• Please check your child’s agenda each night. Your child should be recording his/her daily assignments and you will be able to see upcoming test/quizzes/assignments as well as any notes from the teacher.
• Please email your child’s teachers to keep your finger on the pulse of your child’s progress. Contact our office to obtain teacher email addresses (754)323-3800. Additionally, teacher email addresses are also listed on our school website http://olsen.browardschools.com.
• Please check pinnacle to view your child’s grades, attendance, and tardies at https://gradebook.browardschools.com/plv
• Your child should be completing “20 plans” every night in addition to his/her daily homework assignments
• Your child should also be reading a minimum of 20-30 minutes each night and completing the Reading Across Broward Reading Log. The only way to improve reading is to read, read, read!
Committed to Excellence,Mrs. Thomas
Broward County Public Schools Summer Programs
The District has launched a new Summer Programs Online Resource, which provides information about summer programs and camps, including academic enrichment programs and school camps. Plan now for a summer filled with adventure, learning and friendships. Visit the new BCPS Summer Programs Online Resource at http://www.browardschools.com/summerprograms
Dress for Success
The way we dress influences our attitude towards what we are doing. We expect our students to dress for school in a manner appropriate to creating an appropriate learning environment. Students are encouraged to take pride in their appearance and groom themselves neatly in clothing that is clean, attractive, and appropriate for school.
Inappropriate items include but are not limited to: hats, halter-tops, midriff tops, mini-skirts, mini-dresses, all stretch form-fitting pants, such as leggings, bike attire, sweatbands/headbands, spiked/studded belts and bracelets, and items that create a distraction to the learning environment. Additionally, shorts must be walking shorts, Bermuda shorts, or culottes, which are not shorter than mid-thigh, and must be hemmed. Specifically, all shorts must be mid-thigh or longer. No sagging pants will be accepted.
A Word About Our Sponsors
All advertising is approved by Broward County and these businesses are investing in order to assist our schools financial needs. If you patron these businesses, please let them know that you have done so because you saw their ad on your school site! :)
If you are interested in advertising on our site, go to advertise.browardschools.com where you can submit your ad for approval.